Standard Operating Procedures During Covid
Updated 23 Sep 2021
Our SOPs are being revised and updated regularly and will continue to evolve in the weeks and months to come. The following guidelines should be seen as a minimum starting point to ensure guests visiting our destinations are provided with top-tier safety standards. The following are our general guidelines and may be adapted according to the situation in-destination with the idea that low-risk or no-risk countries will have more relaxed rules and high Covid countries will be more strict.
Actions By Participants
- Entry requirements will be set by each destination you are travelling to and you will be informed of these when you book.
- Whatever the country entry requirements are, will be required for every participant on a SpiceRoads trip.
- Guests are kindly requested to bring their own masks and pocket sanitiser.
- Comprehensive travel insurance (minimum USD 100,000) will be required.
- It will be expected that guests will wear a mask (guides/drivers will do), along with frequent hand washing and avoid touching your face.
- Regular contactless temperature screening at the entrance of any site/hotel/ restaurant/shop/public space may be performed.
- Social/Physical distancing is practised in public places according to the rules in each destination visited and we expect all guests to follow local rules.
- Arrival formalities will be dictated by each country and will be documented in your pre-departure information.
- We expect masks to be worn on planes and arrival terminals and at temperature checks on arrival.
- Participants are responsible for ensuring they carry all required information and documentation such as proof of vaccination, negative Covid testing etc.
- Covid tests may be implemented on arrival as an additional precaution.
Leaders, Guides, Drivers and Support Crew
- Drivers and guides will wear face masks when inside vehicles or public spaces.
- Drivers and guides are not allowed to work if they feel unwell or have a fever above 37.5 C.
- NO handshaking between drivers/guides and guests.
- Briefing on COVID situation on arrival with specifics on local measures and social distancing.
- No distribution of documents/papers from guides to guests.
- Guides/vehicles to carry spare face masks in case guests require new ones.
- Temperature checks by guides of drivers and guests three times per day, logged by guides.
- Disinfection of luggage before loading into vehicles.
- Disinfection of vehicles before tour starts and every second day.
- Special focus on handles, safety belts, seating surfaces, headrests and windows.
- Vehicle disinfection log to be kept by driver.
- Disinfectant to be alcohol-based and follow WHO standards.
- Disinfectant hand sanitiser available onboard for guests.
- Spacing with a minimum 1 seat in between travellers.
- Visits will be planned whenever possible to avoid crowded locations like markets and other public places.
- Briefings/reminders on social distancing and specific safety precautions before arrival at public sites.
- Guests can choose to skip a visit if they don’t feel comfortable.
- No queuing by guests, tickets will be purchased in advance by company/guide where possible.
- Social distancing during visits/walks.
- It may be required to book pre-allocated visiting times at certain sites – details will be advised.
- All restaurants and food outlets booked by Spiceroads will have had to submit their safety and hygiene protocols and be cleared by Spiceroads management.
- Wherever possible and if the guest agrees, outside or terrace seating will be booked when available and desired.
- Contactless temperature checks on arrival at restaurants.
- All seating arrangements and chairs are to be disinfected/wiped in the presence of the guest.
- Cutlery, glasses and dishes to be set up when a guest sits down.
- All restaurant staff will wear masks.
- Hand sanitizing alcohol to be provided at entrances and throughout restaurants.
- Restrooms to be cleaned hourly and contact surfaces wiped/sanitized.
- No menu cards to be offered/distributed. Alternatives will be pre-ordered menus, downloadable menus onto smartphones or blackboard menus.
- No buffet meals will be offered/planned in itineraries.
- All hotels booked will have to submit their safety and hygiene protocols to Spiceroads or an approved Spiceroads supplier.
- Spiceroads will always try to provide hotels with client info in advance to allow contactless check-in or the guide will perform check-in for the group.
- Temperature screening via thermal or contactless screening upon check-in.
- Hotels may require guests to follow social distancing rules and an enhanced cleaning protocol in some areas.