Mighty Mekong River by Road Bike
We start our riding in Loei and after a visit to one of the many national parks in the area we head for the flats of the Mekong River and follow it for 700 kms all the way to Nakhon Phanom. Along this section the mighty Mekong forms a natural border between Thailand and Laos, and will lead us to a discovery of Laotian influences into the food and culture.
Overall this scenic ride on smooth tarmac provides us with continuous river views where we can see rapids, waterfalls or sandy islets, depending on the water levels. The fertile shores of the Mekong are used to cultivate vegetables and the waters utilized for breeding fish in pens. There will be many colourful Buddhist temples along the way as well as a quirky statue park that has to be seen to be believed. We will be staying in small guesthouses as there are limited hotels, but this will only add to the authenticity of your ride!
|Tour Cost||US$1,890||Single Supplement||US$230|
|Bike Hire||US$210 Standard Bike Hire / US$310 Carbon Bike Hire||Total Cycling Distance||694 kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||8 days/ 7 nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||6 full days||Tour Meets||Bangkok|
|Tour Ends||Bangkok||Countries Visited||Thailand|
|Group Size||Minimum of 2, Maximum of 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- Meet your guide for a trip briefing, equipment check and enjoy dinner at a local restaurant to start your culinary exploration of Thai cuisine.
- Day 2
- We start gentle to warm our legs for the first 13 km before our first challenge begins as the road twists and turns uphill through the green hills of Loei province.
- Day 3
- Take in the fresh morning air as you will be pedaling hard up to the peak of Phu Ruea National Park (Boat Mountain). The name of this park is inspired by the shape of a cliff at the peak at 1365 m. We then ride to the Mekong River and overnight in charming Chiang Khan where the streets are lined with traditional wooden houses.
- Day 4
- Enjoy the morning view of the Mekong River as the fog lifts off the surface. We ride along the river on the smooth tarmac looking over at Laos on our left and will pas Vientiane, the capital of the country. We overnight in Nong Khai.
- Day 5
- Today is a semi rest day as we make a stop to see the giant concrete sculptures at Sala Keoku before we hit the road in earnest. We have a short distance to cover today and spend the night in the small town of Pak Khat.
- Day 6
- After a good night of rest we once again have a full day ahead of us as we cycle through the Isan countryside. Endless rice paddies and water buffalo wallowing in the mud will keep us company as ride Ban Paeng.
- Day 7
- Today is our final day of cycling along this mighty river as we take in our last views of fishermen plying their trade and kids going for a swim. We end our riding in the provincial capital of Nakhon Phanom and have a farewell meal on the river.
- Day 8
- After breakfast you will catch your flight from Nakhon Phanom airport to Bangkok.
Day 2 – Fly to Loei – Phu Ruea Ride 80 km. +1,024 m/ -887 m.
Day 3 – Phu Ruea - Chiang Khan Ride 120 km. +1,513 m/ -1,911 m.
Day 4 – Chiang Khan - Nong Khai Ride 150 km. +858 m/ -913 m.
Day 5 - Nong Khai - Pak Khat Ride 100 km. +312 m/ -310 m.
Day 6- Pak Khat - Ban Paeng Ride 145 km. +671 m/ -648 m.
Day 7 – Ban Paeng - Nakhon Phanom Ride 99 km. +346 m/ -349 m.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|May 28, 2017||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 230.00||USD 210.00|
|July 16, 2017||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 230.00||USD 210.00|
|October 15, 2017||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 1,890.00||USD 230.00||USD 210.00|
|November 12, 2017||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 230.00||USD 210.00|
|December 24, 2017||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 230.00||USD 210.00|
|February 4, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 230.00||USD 210.00|
|May 27, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 230.00||USD 210.00|
|July 8, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 230.00||USD 210.00|
|October 14, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 230.00||USD 210.00|
|November 25, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 230.00||USD 210.00|
|December 23, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 230.00||USD 210.00|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our custom tours team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
Perfect organisation, good food, nice and competent guiedes and drivers/mechanics
Friedrich Kroeger - November 2016
Excellent guides, perfect organisation, carefully selected hotels and restaurants.
Richard Maehrlein - November 2016
I enjoyed the biking tour. We had a great opportunity to see the beautiful landscape along the Mekong. The food in this region is delicious. The guides and drivers were very professional and accommodating.
Doaa Kopp - November 2016