Bike and Hike Wild Madagascar
Dubbed the “eighth continent”, Madagascar is one of the very few places on earth where plants and animals have evolved in isolation. With a variety of flora and fauna endemic only to its territory, this fourth largest island in the world has been recognised as a biodiversity hotspot by Conservation International. Apart from its natural treasures, the island nation is also rich in culture with charming ethnic groups who have settled and made up the nation for more than two millennia.
This bike and hike tour takes you to appreciate the friendly Malagasy people along with their proud traditions before it's time to venture away from civilisation into the wilderness and marvel at the country's vast biodiversity. Spot unique plants and animals and explore stunning landscape with countless sharp cliffs and bizarre rock formations resulting from volcanic activities and wind. Get in the saddle and tackle dirt roads for an adventure and hike through the prairies and hills of Madagascar's massifs to discover a whole new world this country has hidden from the rest of the planet – truly an experience unlike any other.
Watch a video of the tour here.
|Tour Cost||US$3,450||Single Supplement||US$475|
|Bike Hire||US$250||Total Cycling Distance||519 kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||15 Days/14 Nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||9 (7 full, 2 half) with 3 full days of hiking||Tour Meets||Antananarivo, Madagascar|
|Tour Ends||Toliara, Madagascar||Countries Visited||Madagascar|
|Group Size||Minimum 2. Maximum 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- We meet at the hotel in Antananarivo, and if you arrive early you're free to explore the rich cultural, historical and architectural sites before gathering in the early evening for a trip briefing and welcome dinner.
- Day 2
- Today we transfer to Antsirabe, a popular retreat since the late 1800s. Upon arrival we'll meet our bikes and go for a short ride at a leisurely pace with a variety of road conditions before we truly start exploring wild Madagascar.
- Day 3
- Today we explore the crater lakes of Andraikiba and Tritriva, both are full of legends and mysteries. After we have a picnic lunch by the spectacular Lake Tritrivia we enjoy a long downhill back to our accommodation.
- Day 4
- The longest ride of the journey takes us to Ambositra to visit the Zafimaniry, an ethnic people living in the forested mountains and famous for their wood carvings, which are listed as one of UNESCO's Intangible Cultural Heritage.
- Day 5
- A van transfer takes us to Camp Robin, where we start riding. On a rural road we pedal past rice paddies and through a spectacular valley with towering granite boulders to Ambohimahasoa before ending the day at Ranomafana National Park.
- Day 6
- Today we switch modes from biking to hiking and explore Ranomafana National Park, which is home to the golden bamboo lemur and more than 100 bird species, 30 of which alone are endemic to the country.
- Day 7
- From Vohiparara we cycle past locals and observe rural life. After the 22-km section with no vehicle support we ride on a good gravel road to our hotel, with a possiblilty of visiting the Sahambavy Tea Estate, Madagascar's only tea plantation.
- Day 8
- Riding to Ambalavao, Madagascar's wine region, we take in captivating landscape and stunning views of vineyards, terraced rice paddies and rocky outcrops. If time allows we may visit a craft shop producing the well-known Antaimoro paper.
- Day 9
- Through the grassland dotted with enormous granite mountains we bike to Anja with bizarre formations of towering cliffs. We take an hour walk into the park before spending two nights in a simple tented camp in the Tsaranoro Valley.
- Day 10
- We start hiking at the edge of the granite Andringitra Massif well-known for the ring-tailed lemur, bizarre cliffs and other endemic animals and plants. At Chameleon Peak we can appreciate stunning landscape of prairies and alpine patches.
- Day 11
- Today we bike across the Horombe Plateau to Ranohira. The landscape slowly changes into a wide-open savannah and those wanting to cycle more can ride the last section to our lodge located at the foothills of I'Isalo National Park.
- Day 12
- We begin with a short ride to the starting point of our hike in I'Isalo National Park with its landscape of the Jurassic-era. On the way visit canyons and look for the ring-tailed as well as other lemurs that epitomise Madagascar.
- Day 13
- We continue cycling through the national park with rugged canyons and grassland to Ilakaka famous for its sapphire deposits. Then transfer to the town of Toliara and overnight at a charming hotel just steps away from the deep blue sea.
- Day 14
- Enjoy the beach while sipping your favourite drink or get in the turquoise sea of the Indian Ocean and discover colourful marine life while snorkelling. We have a farewell dinner tonight to celebrate all that we have discovered together.
- Day 15
- Our tour ends after breakfast but we can assist you in extending your holiday on the beach or help to arrange a transfer to the airport for your onward flight.
MDR-MWM Day 3
MDR-MWM Day 4
MDR-MWM Day 5
MDR-MWM Day 7
MDR-MWM Day 8
MDR-MWM Day 9
MDR-MWM Day 11
MDR-MWM Day 13
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|May 7, 2017||Available||USD 3,450.00||USD 475.00||USD 250.00|
|June 18, 2017||Available||USD 3,450.00||USD 475.00||USD 250.00|
|July 30, 2017||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 3,450.00||USD 475.00||USD 250.00|
|September 24, 2017||Available||USD 3,450.00||USD 475.00||USD 250.00|
|October 15, 2017||Available||USD 3,450.00||USD 475.00||USD 250.00|
|May 6, 2018||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 3,450.00||USD 475.00||USD 250.00|
|June 17, 2018||Available||USD 3,450.00||USD 475.00||USD 250.00|
|July 29, 2018||Available||USD 3,450.00||USD 475.00||USD 250.00|
|September 23, 2018||Available||USD 3,450.00||USD 475.00||USD 250.00|
|October 14, 2018||Available||USD 3,450.00||USD 475.00||USD 250.00|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our custom tours team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
The local guides were fabulous; they made the trip both interesting and seamless.
Stacy Hankin - July 2016
We discovered the Malagasy's people are kind, open hearted, and welcoming throughout Madagascar. The scenery was very diverse and eye popping. SpiceRoads prepared delicious fare for us at each lunch stop. I would highly recommend this ride/hike to anyone.
Mary Patricia Colacino - October 2016
Biking and hiking through Madagascar was amazing! Our guides, drivers and bike mechanics were outstanding and were pivotal to our new found knowledge and enjoyment of this beautiful country.
Helen Seidel Cates - October 2016
This trip was a great combination of cycling and hiking that took us to seem extremely interesting places in Madagascar. Lucien and Solofo were excellent guides, as were Tuju and Stefan the other two that rode with the group. All were helpful, patient and encouraging. The drivers who also prepared lunches everyday were wonderful. Lucien is a great leader and Solofo has a great future ahead of him as a guide and leader.
Louise Meyrick - September 2016
Really knowledgeable and friendly guides on this tour. They gave us a fascinating insight into the country. The picnic lunches that they provided on most days were exceptional. If seemed like we got a brand-new bike every day, as all the bikes were washed, checked and running repairs performed overnight.
Gerrard Bell - September 2016
This trip to Madagascar was one of the best we made! Just wonderful! Lucien is not only a guide, he is everything on this tour. The design of the tour is extremely well done. We loved the biking, sometimes on the potholed road and sometimes off road biking of the best. A very good choice of the hotels in bungalow-style, very comfortable, clean and good situated. The whole crew was very well organized, in a good mood and helpful. We loved the picnic-lunches they prepared for us and the spots they chose to eat. Lucien, who knows so much about his land, the culture, the people, the very special flora and fauna, had always an answer to our questions (and saw all the chameleons in the trees. Amazing). Thanks so much for this special trip. Elisabeth & Hans Peter from Switzerland. We look already forward to book a next tour. I think I'm a little bit addict.
Elisabeth Herzig - July 2016
The trip was one of the best I have taken. Lucien was the best guide of all my many trips. I appreciated his education on all aspects of life in Madagascar and his superb support on the ride. I also found the rental equipment excellent with maintenance every night. He allowed us to choose from the menu at every meal which I also found vastly more enjoyable than eating from a fixed menu.
Herb Kavet - August 2016
Great trip! The staff were a treat and so very helpful and informative - a great team that made the trip.
Madagascar is a fascinating place and there remains a lot to be still explored, I felt this trip was just an appetizer!
BILL HALLETT - June 2016