Taiwan Traverse by Road Bike
Spectacular winding roads that provide tough-but-rewarding climbs and exciting descents are the hallmarks of riding in Taiwan. The roads are surprisingly quiet on the less populated East Coast and are very well maintained.
Though being only 400 km long, Taiwan has a surprising variety of eco zones. There are more than 100 peaks over 3,000 metres in the Central Mountain Range, which we will cross twice! We have an amazing descent of 60 kms down through the dramatic Taroko Gorge before we ride south through the lush East Rift Valley and then we will meet the power of the Pacific as it hits the coast. Here the beaches and palm trees will make you wonder if you are on the same island!
An added benefit of Taiwan is the plethora of hot springs, and for five nights you;'ll be able to soak your muscles after your hard day of riding to prepare them for the next day's efforts. .
With breathtaking scenery, challenging riding and plenty of off-bike experiences to enjoy as well, the stage is set for a uniquely rewarding cycling holiday – one you and your legs will remember for a long time to come!
|Tour Cost||US$3,350||Single Supplement||US$625|
|Bike Hire||US$375||Total Cycling Distance||937 kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||11 Days/10 Nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||8 full, 1 half||Tour Meets||Taipei|
|Tour Ends||Kaoshiung||Countries Visited||Taiwan|
|Group Size||Minimum 4. Maximum 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- From the hotel we drive to Fusing to start our ride. At 350 m in pine country we climb gently and top off at 1,240 m, but it won't be strenuous. Through lush forests with thick mosses and ferns the narrow road gives the whole place a Jurassic aura.
- Day 2
- We ride straight from the hotel to start our ascent of the Central Cross Island Link taking us to just under 2000 m and the high altitude plateau of Wuling. The scenery is spectacular up here and the air fresh.
- Day 3
- We start the day by continuing up the north cross island highway to Li Shan, and after 25 km we are at the highest point, just above 2,000m. We then descend into one of the most remote parts of the island, a highlight of the trip!
- Day 4
- Today we tackle the highest road in East Asia at 3275m. Start with a 32 km climb up 2,175m then there's an exhilarating ride down some 3270m into Taroko National Park and the world famous Taroko Gorge.
- Day 5
- Take a break off the bikes by visiting and hiking in Taroko Gorge. We will visit the Siangde Temple with a giant statue of Guanyin and a pagoda that provides views of the valley from the top and walk the Tunnel of Nine Turns trail.
- Day 6
- From Taroko Gorge we ride out onto the east coast and into the superb East Rift Valley. The undulating route hugs the foothills and takes us through numerous Aboriginal villages. We overnight at yet another wonderful hot spring resort!
- Day 7
- We head south and then up into the Badlands area and enjoy splendid views from our deserted mountain road. We eventually connect with back roads to the lush Jhihben River valley, where the hot springs are between 75-96 degrees Celsius.
- Day 8
- Today's ride takes us over the top of the Capricorn pass and down to the white sand beaches of Kenting and to the southern most point of Formosa. We stop for a photo op at the southernmost point of Taiwan.
- Day 9
- Starting early in the morning from our guest house we'll explore the southern part of Taiwan which has the most dramatic coast line and the best beaches on the island.
- Day 10
- Our last ride of the tour to our last hot spring of the tour. The ride starts off along the coast then turns inland and we cycle along the banks of the Lao Nong river for our soak in the hot springs.
- Day 11
- Transfer to Kaohsiung where you can catch a flight or the high speed train (highly recommend!) to Taipei or to your Kaoshiung hotel.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|April 19, 2015||Available||USD 3,350.00||USD 625.00||USD 375.00|
|September 20, 2015||Available||USD 3,350.00||USD 625.00||USD 375.00|
|October 18, 2015||Available||USD 3,350.00||USD 625.00||USD 375.00|
|November 15, 2015||Available||USD 3,350.00||USD 625.00||USD 375.00|
|March 20, 2016||Available||USD 3,350.00||USD 625.00||USD 375.00|
|April 3, 2016||Available||USD 3,350.00||USD 625.00||USD 375.00|
|September 18, 2016||Available||USD 3,350.00||USD 625.00||USD 375.00|
|October 16, 2016||Available||USD 3,350.00||USD 625.00||USD 375.00|
|November 13, 2016||Available||USD 3,350.00||USD 625.00||USD 375.00|
Nothing was too much trouble for guides. They went above and beyond in their efforts to make sure we were well looked after.
Loved the hot springs after a hard day riding.
Steve Hills - November 2014