Riding Regal Rajasthan
A beguiling land of forts and palaces, Rajasthan will be sure to enchant you with its splendors. Riding through the former princely states will provide an insight into a majestic world as Rajasthan remains a land still connected to its regal past. The vibrancy and colours of Rajasthan will be ever present on this amazing cycle journey as we ride from the once powerful Raj state of pink-hued Jaipur, through the sandy-coloured land dotted by the vivid splashes of turbans and the skirts of villagers, to the blue city of Jodphur and end at the alabaster 'City of Lakes', Udaipur.
We cycle on rustic and rural roads through small villages nestling up against forts and spread haphazardly through the countryside, sharing the way with camels, goats and water buffaloes. The architectural marvels of forts rising suddenly out of the landscape will be a daily part of the tour. Religion's vital role in the region will also be evident when we visit the most famous Brahma temple in the world at Pushkar and the intricate carvings of the Ranakpur Jain temples.
This land has attracted travelers for centuries, but by bike, you will see traditional Rajasthani life up close as you immerse yourself in this rich culture.
Pre- tour: Kickstart your trip with our ever-popular Agra extension where we visit Taj Mahal, a UNESCO World Heritage site which has long been dubbed “the jewel of Muslim art in India”. This exquisite must-see-to-believe structure, built with stunning white marble, was created in memory of emperor Shah Jahan's favorite wife. Contact us for more information
Watch a video of the tour here
|Tour Cost||US$3,550||Single Supplement||US$765|
|Bike Hire||US$250||Total Cycling Distance||525 kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||12 Days/11 Nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||7 full/ 1 half||Tour Meets||Jaipur|
|Tour Ends||Udaipur||Countries Visited||India|
|Group Size||Minimum 2. Maximum 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- Arrive in Jaipur in time to meet for dinner and a trip briefing.
- Day 2
- Today we will explore the many sights of the Pink City of Jaipur. We visit the City Palace, the former residence of the Maharaja, and the observatory of Jai Singh, and see the honeycombed sandstone windows of the Palace of the Winds as well as the majestic Amber Fort.
- Day 3
- Today the riding begins! We start with a transfer to escape the city traffic and then it's time to get on the bikes. The country road will twist and turn as we ride past the ruins of Boraj Fort and past fields of millet, mustard seed and wheat. Our end destination is Pushkar, a holy town which every Hindu should visit once in their life.
- Day 4
- We ride past the grounds of Pushkar's yearly camel fair on the edge of the desert. We will likely pass many herds of farm animals, from cows to goats to camels and village life will be on full display as we ride to Ras, a tiny town that wraps itself around the palace and fort. We overnight at the palace.
- Day 5
- Some varied riding through the flat terrain with some dirt roads to take us truly off the beaten track. Riding through grazing grounds we'll likely have to ride through herds of cows, water buffaloes, sheep, goats and maybe even camels herded by men is brightly coloured turbans. We overnight at the cozy Chandelao Garh, a former fortification converted into an eco hotel.
- Day 6
- A break from the bikes today for an excursion to Jodphur, the blue city. Here we'll visit mighty Meherangarh Fort which hovers over the city. After our tour you'll be free to explore the town, have some lunch on your own before we drive back to peaceful Chandelao.
- Day 7
- We'll join the parade of locals heading out of the village today. They are going to work in their fields of jowar, mustard and lentils. We will have a good chance of seeing demoiselle cranes who migrate to the area and maybe blue back antelopes. We stop for a break at the art deco hunting lodge of Sardar Samand with views across a vast lake. Tonight we overnight at a beautifully restored Rawla – literally meaning the abode of the local chieftain.
- Day 8
- The Araveli range will be always be on our left as we ride towards the Jain temples of Ranakpur where none of the 1444 marble pillars are carved in exquisite detail.
- Day 9
- Our first long uphill of the tour awaits us! We'll be riding through the Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary as we ascend the Araveli range. The grade is gentle and we'll have plenty of time for the 10 km climb. Once we have reached the plateau the rest of our ride will undulate until we approach the hulking hilltop fortress of Kumbhalgarh when the road steepens.
- Day 10
- A great day of cycling through the rolling countryside starting from the lofty heights of the Araveli Hills and riding down through the barren lowlands to the lake city of Udaipur.
- Day 11
- This morning we'll ride directly from the hotel into the green countryside of Udaipur and visit the Monsoon Palace that offers us stunning views of the city. We'll return to the city by riding around Fateh lake and have lunch lakeside. After a sunset boat ride on the lake we'll have our farewell dinner with views of the beautifully illuminated city.
- Day 12
- We transfer you to the airport for your onward journey. If you have time, we can arrange a tour of the Taj Mahal for your from New Delhi.
Day 3 - Jaipur - Pushkar Ride 70 km. +264 m/ -282 m.
Day 4 - Pushkar – Ras Ride 60 km. +251 m/ -450 m.
Day 5 - Ras to Chandelao Ride 80 km. +163 m/ -257 m.
Day 7 - Chandelao – Jojawar Ride 85 km. + 196 m/ -176 m.
Day 8 - Jojawar – Ranakpur Ride 70 km. +312 m/ -206 m.
Day 9 - Ranakpur – Fort Kumbhalgarh Ride 50 km. +1,096 m/ -536 m.
Day 10 - Fort Kumbhalgarh – Udaipur Ride 80 km. +770 m/ -1,146 m.
Day 11 – Udaipur Loop Ride 30 km. +445 m/ -444 m.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|March 6, 2016||Available||USD 3,550.00||USD 765.00||USD 250.00|
|October 9, 2016||Available||USD 3,550.00||USD 765.00||USD 250.00|
|November 6, 2016||Available||USD 3,550.00||USD 765.00||USD 250.00|
|December 11, 2016||Available||USD 3,550.00||USD 765.00||USD 250.00|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our customs tour team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
We saw not only the usual tourist spots, but areas in India that could only be experienced by bike. Eating food with and from the locals was a treat. Our guide was quite knowledgeable and full of enthusiasm.
William G Self Jr - November 2015