Mountain Biking Montenegro
Montenegro's wild landscapes, azure seas and rich cultural heritage are all draws to this tiny mountainous country. The Bay of Kotor is credibly one of the prettiest bays in the world and is lined with many stunning destinations; from the vibrant and contemporary Budva Riviera to quaint and serene Vipazar. Castles, fortress walls, and quaint fishing villages, tucked between orchards and the sea make for inrteresting stps on our mountain biking adventure. The riding starts in the foothills of Mount Orjen and we climb gradually up to our first summit for our first breathtaking panorama. We cycle to the beautiful baroque town of Perast and by boat cross the Bay of Kotor to Tivat. Ascents challenge us daily but we are also rewared by exciting descents. We spend two nights in the vibrant town of Budva – the Miami of Montenegro! We drop down to the shores of beautiful Lake Skarda and boat to Rijeka Crnojevića where we head up to the former royal capital of Cetinje. Our prize for reaching the peak of Jezerski Vrhur, on our final climbs in Lovcen National Park, are the most fantastic views of Montenegro and across to the Italian coast. The tour then descends to the delightful Bay of Kotor where we finish our ride in the historic and charming old town.
Sign up for the first departure on May 26 and receive a US$150 discount!
|Tour Cost||US$1,395||Single Supplement||US$240|
|Bike Hire||US$180||Total Cycling Distance||285 km|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||8 Days/7 Nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||6 Days||Tour Meets||Dubrovnik Airport, Croatia|
|Tour Ends||Dubrovnik Airport, Croatia||Countries Visited||Montenegro|
|Group Size||Min. 2. Max. 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- We will meet you at Dubrovnik Airport and transfer a short 30 km to the coastal town of Herceg Novi.
- Day 2
- We transfer to Mount Orjen and cycle along an old military trail and climb over the Orjen Saddle, towards Crkvice and then our route heads south, traversing the mountain then descend to the beautifully preserved baroque town of Perast. Our day ends with a boat across the Bay of Kotor to Tivat.
- Day 3
- From Tivat we climb up to the pretty village of Gornja Lastva where a former military road leads us to the summit of Sveti llija. We descend into Budva, an incredibly picturesque and vibrant coastal town that is the Montenegrin Miami!
- Day 4
- We do a loop ride today, returning to Budva for another night. Our morning ride takes a high-level path overlooking the coast and we stop to visit some architectural sites such as the 19th century fortress at Kosmac and the monastery at Ogradenica. From there, a steep descent towards the coast gives us views of the magical hotel-island of Sveti Stefan.
- Day 5
- We ride on the tracks of a disused railway line and use a 600 m long tunnel along the way. Today's climb is a long one but we have a beautiful descent into the fishing village of Virpazar as a reward. From here we boat through Lake Skardar National Park, designated as one of Europe's best bird watching sites, to the charming lakeside town of Rijeka Crnojevića. Our riding continues to our overnight at Cetinje, the former Royal Capital Montenegro.
- Day 6
- We set out today on some old roads into the Lovcen National Park then take an old military road up to the steep summit of Babina Glava. Our route then flattens out and we ride past the mountain village of Dolovi before our final ascent to the mountain peak of Jezerski Vrh. We visit the mausoleum of the poet Petar Petrovic Njegos before a rapid descent brings us to the tiny village of Njegusi,
- Day 7
- We ride along an old wagon trail to the foot of Jezerski Vrh and over the Trešnja Saddle to visit the old spring in Sanik. Our route descends towards Bukovica where we grab some refreshment at the cafe "Kod Pera" which has been open every day for more than 100 years. One last short climb to the mountain pass of Krstac before we ride down the well-known Lovcen Road to the Old Town of Kotor, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Day 8
- Transfer to Dubrovnik Airport for onward travel.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|May 26, 2013||Available||USD 1,395.00||USD 240.00||USD 180.00|
|June 23, 2013||Available||USD 1,395.00||USD 240.00||USD 180.00|
|September 8, 2013||Available||USD 1,395.00||USD 240.00||USD 180.00|
|October 6, 2013||Available||USD 1,395.00||USD 240.00||USD 180.00|
There are no reviews for this tour yet. Please check back soon.