Macedonia Mountain Bike Odyssey
This tour is a true mountain bike experience with routes and trails to challenge the determination and the legs of those that love riding dirt. The daily rewards for your efforts are majestic: views that stop the breath and remain as visual reminders of Macedonia's sublime beauty, other worldly mountain villages with charming architecture preserved from a time past, an array of flora and fauna endemic to these unique Balkan mountains, and fresh as dew, clear as crystal glacial lakes that dazzle the mind. Our route climbs through a series of Macedonia's gorgeous ranges and we scale several imposing mountains over the course of our riding. Completing our full program of climbs will see you travel more than 370 km in distance and ascend almost 10 vertical kilometres. Blissfully what goes up must come down, and do we! Climbing pains will soon be forgotten as exhilarating downhills twist and turn through Macedonian forests of pine, oak and beech.
Sign up for the first departure on June 2 and receive a US$150 discount!
|Tour Cost||US$1,695||Single Supplement||US$230|
|Bike Hire||US220||Total Cycling Distance||360 kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||10 Days/9 Nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||7 full days||Tour Meets||Skopje|
|Tour Ends||Skopje||Countries Visited||Macedonia|
|Group Size||Min. 2. Max. 12.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- We in Macedonia's capital of Skopje for a welcome dinner and trip briefing.
- Day 2
- After a short transfer to the outskirts of Skopje we begin riding into Macedonia's beautiful countryside. The tough climbs start quickly and our route takes us into the Karadzica mountain range and through several alpine villages.
- Day 3
- After breakfast we attack the Solunska Glava (2540 m) which rises in the very center of the country. After a lung testing ascent we'll stop at the summit to take in the spectacular views across to Greece and the far-distant Aegean Sea. Our reward for our climbing effort is a thrilling 56 km downhill.
- Day 4
- We ride in the shadow of towering Titov Vrv (2747 m), Macedonia's highest peak. As we ascend there are simply wonderful panoramas across the wild Leshnica Valley. We overnight on the southern shores of Lake Mavrorov.
- Day 5
- On our quest for more Macedonian peaks, we head up to the summit of Medenica (2163 m). We also take in several traditional mountain villages along the way. Lazaropole is an extremely picturesque town; Galičnik has very well preserved traditional architecture, including an amphitheater and Tresonce and Selce offer up great charm for us as we soak up the warm culture. We overnight at Lake Ohrid.
- Day 6
- A rest day in the picturesque and relaxing setting of Ohrid, a UNESCO World Heritage site, listed for both its cultural and natural attractions. You are at leisure to take a stroll through the alleys, swim in the lake, or to just sit in a cafe and soak up the pure unique delights of this rich, ancient town.
- Day 7
- Today we tackle the grand Galicica Mountain as we pass through beautiful pastures and the bright floral life that is endemic to these slopes. We ride under the shadow of Magaro Peak (2255 m) and have stunning views of Lake Ohrid and Lake Prespa. Overnight in the heart of Pelister National Park.
- Day 8
- Beautiful forests line our morning ride through Pelister National Park. Our route takes us through fabulous countryside as we head to the Big Lake, a glacial body of water which along with its smaller companion are known as the Pelister Eyes. To get our our daily ration of climbs we'll ride to 2300 m, just shy of the summit of Pelister Peak. We finish our day with a sightseeing city-cycle tour of Bitola, Macedonia's second city.
- Day 9
- Our final day of riding takes us across the trails of the picturesque Osogovo Mountain. The towering Crn Vrv Peak (2251 m) rises above us as we skirt close to the Bulgarian border and reach Palanka to visit the St. Joakim Monastery. We transfer back to Skopje and have a farewell dinner to reminisce over all our adventures.
- Day 10
- Transfer to Skopje airport for onward travel.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|June 2, 2013||Available||USD 1,695.00||USD 230.00||USD 220.00|
|July 7, 2013||Available||USD 1,695.00||USD 230.00||USD 220.00|
|August 4, 2013||Available||USD 1,695.00||USD 230.00||USD 220.00|
|September 15, 2013||Available||USD 1,695.00||USD 230.00||USD 220.00|
There are no reviews for this tour yet. Please check back soon.