Biking Hanoi to Luang Prabang
Escalating the most spectacular mountain range in Southeast Asia — this bike journey from Hanoi to Luang Prabang presents stunning views and rare cultural encounters. Challenging inclines and scintillating descents make our trail, which winds through Sapa’s grooved hillsides, up Vietnam’s highest mountain pass and through enchanting tribe villages. Cycle into the picturesque Na River gorge, through the surrounding hills and valleys to Dien Bien Phu, the historic site of the Viet Minh’s decisive victory over the French. Bike into Laos to witness agrarian local life and untamed topography as we overnight at riverside guest houses. We’ll finish our bicycle trip in atmospheric Luang Prabang.
|Tour Cost||US$2,795||Single Supplement||US$450|
|Bike Hire||US$200||Total Cycling Distance||Up to 633 kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||13 days / 12 nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||7 full days, 2 half days||Tour Meets||Hanoi|
|Tour Ends||Luang Prabang||Countries Visited||Vietnam, Laos|
|Group Size||Minimum 2. Maximum 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- Meet in Hanoi and explore the city before we gather for welcome dinner.
- Day 2
- We take a city tour before catching the overnight train King Express to Lao Cai, the start of our biking adventure.
- Day 3
- Upon arrival in Lao Cai we transfer to the hill station town of Sapa and check into our hotel. We then test out the bikes by riding on roads and trails used by the locals and ethnic tribes.
- Day 4
- From the hotel we get in the saddle and ride to the village of Ta Phin before doing a loop on a dirt track that traverses forested hillsides and passes many of Sapa's ethnic villages.
- Day 5
- Riding out of Sapa and we climb to Tram Ton Pass - the highest road pass in Vietnam at 2,000 m. We ride past tea plantations and stop for a short visit to tribal villages along the way to Tam Duong before finishing in Lai Chau.
- Day 6
- We take on a challenging uphill from Lai Chau before cruising downhill to Nam Na River. The climb continues as we cycle through mountains and hill tribe villages to Muong Lay to spend the night.
- Day 7
- Today we will ride on rough roads and hills towards Dien Bien Phu. Encounter many ethnic minorities on the way and be sure to have your camera handy as they will welcome you in colorful traditional clothes.
- Day 8
- Enjoy a leisurely, 50-km loop in the history-rich city of Dien Bien Phu and visit the war museum. After we cycle out of town towards Muong Phang Commune on scenic roads before biking back to the hotel.
- Day 9
- The trail twists and turns before reaching the Lao border. After a swap of crews we cycle to the crossroads town of Muang Khoua on dirt roads through remote villages mainly comprised of Red or Black Thai ethnic tribes.
- Day 10
- A rest day to lean back and relax. We boat down the Nam Ou River enjoying serene life of the locals along the banks and stop over at a remote village hardly any tourists ever visit before reaching Muang Ngoy in the afternoon.
- Day 11
- After a short boat transfer we ride primarily on dirt roads past ethnic villages in a region that few people ever visit. We overnight in Nong Kiau at a guesthouse that overlooks the river.
- Day 12
- Cycling an undulating road away from Nong Kiau we head west along the Nam Ou River to historic Luang Prabang, a UNESCO World Heritage city, where we freshen up and gather for our farewell dinner.
- Day 13
- The morning is free to explore the beautiful city of Luang Prabang before your onward travel.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|March 12, 2017||Available||USD 2,795.00||USD 450.00||USD 200.00|
|October 8, 2017||Available||USD 2,795.00||USD 450.00||USD 200.00|
|November 5, 2017||Available||USD 2,795.00||USD 450.00||USD 200.00|
|December 10, 2017||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 2,795.00||USD 450.00||USD 200.00|
|January 14, 2018||Available||USD 2,795.00||USD 450.00||USD 200.00|
|February 4, 2018||Available||USD 2,795.00||USD 450.00||USD 200.00|
|March 11, 2018||Available||USD 2,795.00||USD 450.00||USD 200.00|
|October 7, 2018||Available||USD 2,795.00||USD 450.00||USD 200.00|
|November 4, 2018||Available||USD 2,795.00||USD 450.00||USD 200.00|
|December 9, 2018||Available||USD 2,795.00||USD 450.00||USD 200.00|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our custom tours team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
I enjoyed our group and especially Kien who is just too funny- we really had a great time.
As a vegetarian I had enough food even though it wasn't always taken into consideration. Loved that we ate at local places and none of us got sick.
All but one hotel was way above expectations. We were very spoiled.
Overall it was an excellent trip. We were very well taken care of the entire time, eating well and seeing incredible scenery with such friendly and beautiful people.
Loved seeing all the hill tribes. Thank you for the great organization- there weren't any problems encountered.
Debra Friezner blanc - November 2013
Thoroughly enjoyable Bike Tour . The riding was amazing, the food was very enjoyable and did it's best to cater for all at the table. The Lao Guide (Joi) and his team were absolutely wonderful. They had very good awareness of our groups needs and no request was ever ignored or too hard to accommodate.
Spice Roads proved that they were a professional and well run organisation and I was thankfull that we had chosen a Spice Roads tour!
Stuart Calver - December 2012
Charming Lao a stand-out. Loved the Ancient in Luang Prabang. Sapa hotel breakfasts were great as was the hotel itself.
Loved day 2 - for combination of challenge and culture. I found the distances tough - but as expected for 4 chilies! The ferry across new dam was brilliant - even though the 'roads' on the other side were a challenge!
The tour guides worked well with the bikes.
Felicity - October 2012
Really enjoyed it. Our guide, Kien, tried to make sure all went smoothly, and as one of the slower riders he made sure we were ok. Joy (Laos) was excellent.
Restaurants and menu's were fabulous. Really a highlight of the trip, having great food at the end of the day, and great variety too.
Susan - October 2012
The riding in Vietnam was tough but this is exactly what I had hoped for. The scenery was beautiful, I especially liked the big hill climbs followed by the thrilling decents. I loved riding through and visiting the villages.
Then to Laos and words cannot decribe how wonderful this part of the trip was. The accomadation was always clean and comfortable and exceeded any expectations I had. The food including our picnic lunches was nothing short of sensational. The country side was amazing and the riding very very enjoyable.
A huge thank to the guides and driver who really made this trip extra special.
And once again I thank your company for making this such a memorable trip and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Spice roads to anyone interested in seeing Asia by bike.
Emma Sandy - October 2011
Overall a superb trip.
Jill Blacklock - December 2010
I LOVED the riding - some of the best I have ever done. The roads in Vietnam were terrific!! Laos was a bit rough, but with mountain bikes it was no problem. We really did not have much traffic at all. I was very pleasantly surprised.
Allegra Calder - January 2011
The tour guide and the support team in Lao were excellent. They worked hard to give us the best possible experience. They explained all about Lao culture. we were particularly lucky to cycle through Hmong communities during their New Year festival and the guide and drivers explained the customs and pointed out aspects to us as we went past.
Mairead Forsythe - December 2010