Wonders of Southern Nepal by Bicycle
Nepal's mountainous terrain isn't an obvious destination for those seeking a leisurely cycle trip, but the lowlands of the Terai offer just that along with a rich religious heritage of Buddhism and Hinduism, medieval towns, quaint hillside villages and protected wildlife.
We climb out of the Kathmandu Valley and start our riding through shady pine forests with stops along the way at remote temples and learn about the various kingdoms that comprised Nepal. We cycle down to the tropical lowlands where the fertile rice fields are still attended to using traditional farming traditions. We spend a rest day on elephant back looking for the endangered one-horned Indian rhino at Chitwan National Park before continuing on to the sacred birthplace of the Lord Buddha. A visit to the Newari city of Tansen will provide cool climes before we again descend to Pokhara, the base for trekkers on the Annapurna circuit. After a ride around the lakes of this region we'll have a spectacular flight back to Kathmandu.
A cycling holiday in Nepal is the ideal way to discover this beautiful and diverse country. The scenery is ever changing on this relaxing ride through the lowlands where you'll meet friendly villagers and have plenty of time to take photos. We also take time out for some gentle hikes, including one where we''ll meet our bikes for a exhilarating descent.
|Tour Cost||US$2,500||Single Supplement||US$460|
|Bike Hire||US$255||Total Cycling Distance||310 km|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||11 days/10 nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||3 full, 4 half||Tour Meets||Kathmandu|
|Tour Ends||Kathmandu||Countries Visited||Nepal|
|Group Size||Minimun 2. Maximum 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- This tour will start in Kathmandu where you will be picked up at the airport and transferred to your hotel. There we will have a trip briefing and bike fitting, followed by a welcome dinner.
- Day 2
- We transfer to the start of our ride at Humane Banjyang to the rim of Kulekhani Dam Site. We continue on the Tribhuvan Highway up to our highest point of the day at 2320 m at the village of Daman.
- Day 3
- This morning we hike up an easy trail to a panoramic view of the valley from an old Tibetan monastery. We descend through pine forests to Hetauda, in the Terai, the lowland area of Nepal.
- Day 4
- We drive to Lothar bridge to start our off-road riding on a jeep track through a shady forest following the Rapti River. We cycle to the quaint village of Saurah, before arriving at our relaxing resort on the edge of Chitwan National Park.
- Day 5
- Today we spend the day at Chitwan National Park. We'll leave the bikes behind as they aren't allowed and have the choice of exploring the reserve from the top of an elephant or from water level on a canoe safari.
- Day 6
- A full day of activities. We start by cycling to the Tikauli forest, continue on the paved Mehendra Highway and break for a picnic lunch. We then transfer to Lumbini, the birthplace of the Lord Buddha in 623 BC.
- Day 7
- This morning's ride takes us through rural Nepal to give us a glimpse of village life in the Terai lowlands. Then we meet the Mahendra Highway and have lunch at Butwal, this old Newari city is known for its traditional architecture and sweeping views of the Himalayas.
- Day 8
- Today we ride from our hotel through the old alleyways of Tansen then we have an exhilarating descent on a windy road that takes us down to the Siddartha Highway. We have a gentle climb up to Galyang, followed by 2 hour drive to Pokhara.
- Day 9
- From Pokhara we drive to Begnas Lake for a 2-hour hike until meet up with the bikes and ride downhill following the road through to Pokhara old town and directly back to the hotel.
- Day 10
- We depart the serenity of Pokhara to return to the bustle of Kathmandu. We will book ourselves on a morning flight and we"ll have the afternoon free then meet up in the evening for a farewell dinner.
- Day 11
- Day free until transfer to airport for your international flight.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|November 19, 2017||Available||USD 2,500.00||USD 460.00||USD 225.00|
|December 17, 2017||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 2,500.00||USD 460.00||USD 225.00|
|March 18, 2018||Available||USD 2,500.00||USD 460.00||USD 225.00|
|April 8, 2018||Available||USD 2,500.00||USD 460.00||USD 225.00|
|November 18, 2018||Available||USD 2,500.00||USD 460.00||USD 225.00|
|December 16, 2018||Available||USD 2,500.00||USD 460.00||USD 225.00|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our custom tours team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
There are no reviews for this tour yet. Please check back soon.