Cycling Vietnam's Central Coast
Vietnam’s intriguing Central Coast is packed with cultural points of interest and scenic rides. From the historic monuments of Hoi An and Hue to the relaxing beaches of Whale Island, this adventure is a delight for everyone wishing to explore the heart of Vietnam. The starting point for this adventure is the old capital of the Ngu Yen Dynasty, Hue. The cycling begins with a ride through the Vietnamese countryside with a challenging climb over Hai Van pass where you’ll have a stunning view of the bays. Passing rural villages on quiet back roads, the peacefulness of the surroundings are in sharp contrast to our destination of My Lai, the site of one of the worst massacres of the American/Vietnam War. This trip is packed with history, culture, some superb cycling and ending at an island beach resort, this trip has it all!
Watch a video of the tour here
|Tour Cost||US$1,890||Single Supplement||US$400|
|Bike Hire||US$170||Total Cycling Distance||470 Kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||10 days / 9 nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||4 full days, 4 half days.||Tour Meets||Hue|
|Tour Ends||Nha Trang||Countries Visited||Vietnam|
|Group Size||Minimum 2. Maximum 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- Meet in Hue, the old capital of the Ngu Yen Dynasty, for a city tour by bicycle.
- Day 2
- From Hue we follow the coast as we ride on roads shaded by coconut palms, and dunes scattered with mini mausoleums, pagodas and war memorials. Overnight at resort on Lang Co Beach.
- Day 3
- Climb Hai Van Pass for superb views of the bay and ride downhill to Danang for lunch. Cycle to China Beach and then on country roads to UNESCO Heritage Site Hoi An.
- Day 4
- From Hoi An we ride on country back roads past paddy fields to visit My Son, the ancient centre of the Cham Civilization and return to Hoi An early in the afternoon.
- Day 5
- In the morning we transfer from Hoi An to Quang Ngai where we ride to My Lai, the site of one of the worst massacres of the American War, and then through the Vietnamese countryside.
- Day 6
- Today we leave early for the journey to Qui Nhon and cycle a loop to Ba To Town, riding on quiet back roads where people are unaccustomed to the sight of western cyclists.
- Day 7
- Ride from Dieu Tri along a remote but well surfaced road. The terrain is gently rolling, with beautiful views of the foothills of the highlands. Transfer to avoid the highway to our hotel in Tuy Hoa.
- Day 8
- On our last cycling we ride from our hotel and soon have the encroaching mountains on both sides as we ride through a network of lush rice fields in the valley. We ride to the Hon Gom peninsula and take a boat to Whale Island.
- Day 9
- Today is free on Whale Island to relax on the beach, do some snorkeling or scuba diving.
- Day 10
- We transfer back to the mainland and then onto Nha Trang for any onward connections.
Day 2 – Hue – Lang Co Ride 65 km. +190 m/ -194 m.
Day 3 – Lang Co - Hoi An Ride 55 km. +791m/ -788 m.
Day 4 – Hoi An – My Son – Hoi An Ride 60-80 km. +432 m/ -428 m.
Day 5 – Hoi An - Quang Ngai Ride 46 km. +207 m/ -208 m.
Day 6 – Quang Ngai – Qui Nhon Ride 73 km. +766 m/ -764 m.
Day 7 – Dieu Tri – Tuy Hoa Ride 80 km. +415 m/ -412 m.
Day 8 – Tuy Hoa – Whale Island Ride 58 km. +636 m/ -643 m.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|March 19, 2017||Limited||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|April 9, 2017||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|May 14, 2017||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|July 2, 2017||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|September 17, 2017||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|October 15, 2017||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|December 17, 2017||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|December 31, 2017||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|February 4, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|March 18, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|April 8, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|May 13, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|July 1, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|September 16, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|October 14, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|December 16, 2018||Available||USD 1,890.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our custom tours team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
Fantastic variety, great support and organization.
Karuna Olatunji - December 2016
The guides, support team and their local knowledge gave great confidence to us as riders in unfamiliar territory. Great combination of rural riding with a transfer option to avoid busy roads.
Kelly Thompson - December 2016
Wonderful way to see the country up close and with the guide.
Enjoyed every aspect of the trip. We were well cared for, met some great people and a good mix of biking that suited me. Great support along the way.
Karuna Olatunji - December 2016
It was a fabulous trip and the cycling companions were super. The leader did a great job given all the different dynamics (e.g. weather, cyclist abilities and fitness, food requirements, timing, training staff). And he accommodated my bike needs, made adjustments quickly and made sure safety was primary.
Carolyn Prentice - December 2016
We had a fantastic holiday! Our guide was superb, kept us entertained with so many stories and had an incredible depth of knowledge about the country and culture and history. And then there was the food ... wow! He had trained as a chef so really knew where to eat, what to order, how to serve. We would go back in a heartbeat.
Paula Mulligan - September 2016
I just wanted to say thank you for organising our tour. We have just returned from our SpiceRoads tour and everybody had a fantastic time in Vietnam. Also I would like you to know that our guide Anh Co Nguyen and his team were fantastic as well. Anh Co was a very knowledgeable guide and nothing was too much trouble for him. He was especially helpful to the younger members of our group. He has a lot of knowledge about Vietnam and his English was very good. Could you please pass on our thanks to Anh Co and his team. We hope to travel with SpiceRoads again soon.
Brad Wood - April 2016
This was my forth tour with SpiceRoads and every one has been a great experience.
William John McGillivray - January 2016
How the trip is finished, and we are safe and full of new experience, New friends and some wonderful memories.
The trip was a blessing from my first question and booking to the end. You guys did a great job, and Your response time on mail is fast and highly professional.
Our guide Anh Co was very good, fun, cleaver and safe, greate knowlege about the history and we felt that we learned alot. The staff did a great job and we was very well taken care of.
The hotel was as good as we could hope for. The person Linh at the travelagencies, worked her butt of just to please us, even if it was her New year hollyday. She was very up to the mark.
Thanks again for a greate tour, we will deffinatly sign up for a New one, hopefully the one from Ho chi Minh to Bankok, but not before 2018.
Paal Albro - January 2016