Cycling Vietnam's Central Coast
Vietnam’s intriguing Central Coast is packed with cultural points of interest and scenic rides. From the historic monuments of Hoi An and Hue to the relaxing beaches of Whale Island, this adventure is a delight for everyone wishing to explore the heart of Vietnam. The starting point for this adventure is the old capital of the Ngu Yen Dynasty, Hue. The cycling begins with a ride through the Vietnamese countryside with a challenging climb over Hai Van pass where you’ll have a stunning view of the bays. Passing rural villages on quiet back roads, the peacefulness of the surroundings are in sharp contrast to our destination of My Lai, the site of one of the worst massacres of the American/Vietnam War. This trip is packed with history, culture, some superb cycling and ending at an island beach resort, this trip has it all!
|Tour Cost||US$1,625||Single Supplement||US$365|
|Bike Hire||US$150||Total Cycling Distance||470 Kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||10 days / 9 nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||4 full days, 4 half days.||Tour Meets||Hue|
|Tour Ends||Nha Trang||Countries Visited||Vietnam|
|Group Size||Minimum 2. Maximum 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- Meet in Hue, the old capital of the Ngu Yen Dynasty, for a city tour by bicycle.
- Day 2
- From Hue we follow the coast as we ride on roads shaded by coconut palms, and dunes scattered with mini mausoleums, pagodas and war memorials. Overnight at resort on Lang Co Beach.
- Day 3
- Climb Hai Van Pass for superb views of the bay and ride downhill to Danang for lunch. Cycle to China Beach and then on country roads to UNESCO Heritage Site of Hoi An.
- Day 4
- From Hoi An we ride on country back roads past paddy fields to visit My Son, the ancient centre of Cham civilization and return to Hoi An early afternoon.
- Day 5
- In the morning we transfer from Hoi An to Quang Ngai where we ride to My Lai, the site of one of the worst massacres of the American War, and then through the Vietnamese countryside.
- Day 6
- Today we leave early for the journey to Qui Nhon and cycle a loop to Ba To Town, riding on quiet back roads where people are unaccustomed to the sight of western cyclists.
- Day 7
- Ride from Dieu Tri along a remote but well surfaced road. The terrain is gently rolling, with beautiful views of the foothills of the highlands. Transfer to avoid the highway to our hotel at Tuy Hoa.
- Day 8
- On our last cycling we ride from our hotel and soon have the encroaching mountains on both sides as we ride through a network of lush rice fields in the valley. We ride to the Hon Gom peninsula and take a boat to Whale Island.
- Day 9
- Today is free on Whale Island to relax on the beach, do some snorkeling or scuba diving.
- Day 10
- We transfer back to the mainland and then onto Nha Trang for any onward connections.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|December 22, 2013||Limited||USD 1,625.00||USD 365.00||USD 150.00|
|February 16, 2014||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 1,625.00||USD 365.00||USD 150.00|
|April 13, 2014||Available||USD 1,625.00||USD 365.00||USD 150.00|
|May 18, 2014||Available||USD 1,625.00||USD 365.00||USD 150.00|
|July 6, 2014||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 1,625.00||USD 365.00||USD 150.00|
|October 19, 2014||Available||USD 1,625.00||USD 365.00||USD 150.00|
|December 21, 2014||Available||USD 1,625.00||USD 365.00||USD 150.00|
The guide was great. The driver was truly excellent, calm and with a fun side.
The cycling was the level you would expect for a three chilli ride
Cycling was great. The couple of days on Whale island was a lovely finish to the trip and the transfer to the final airport was great as it is a long drive. Food was interesting. No one was ill!
Lizbeth Ansell - July 2013
Vu was a very professional guide and a lovely and caring Person - we had a great time with him.
It was a good mixture of biking
We had mainly chosen the accommodation and it was very good.
Walter Schaer - June 2013
We got to ride the backroads, through villages and fishing towns, seeing parts of the country that I doubt many visitors get to see. This was fantastic.
Andrew Prentice - December 2012
Nguyen Anh Co (Anko) did a fine job as our guide and Dahm was a great driver and cheerfuly helped out with the bikes and the water refills. The accommodation was great and the food was plentiful and tasty with a good mix of vegetarian and meat. Anko certainly knows the area very well and was able to take us to some lovely restaurants. We also liked his knowledge of the history of the area. We also enjoyed visiting his home for a brief stop and meeting his lovely children and wife. We loved the journeys through the villages and the fact we were staying off busy roads.
Mike Weakley - July 2012
I was very happy with the route and itinerary!
Leonard Karp - May 2012
Enjoyed the cycling and the food!
Gordon Dunn - April 2012
Thank you for organising our wonderful tour of Vietnam's central coast. It was perfect for us and we enjoyed every minute of it. The food was incredible, and our guide and driver looked after every detail - including some babysitting of our daughter to let my wife and I ride together!
Paul and Kellie Stolk - December 2011
I enjoyed the tour and definitely would/will take another Spiceroads tour. The route was enjoyable and the tour leader was great. Each day would be a new surprise as to the accommodation, locations were always very good.
Donald Moore - July 2011