Cycling Vietnam's Central Coast
Vietnam’s intriguing Central Coast is packed with cultural points of interest and scenic rides. From the historic monuments of Hoi An and Hue to the relaxing beaches of Whale Island, this adventure is a delight for everyone wishing to explore the heart of Vietnam. The starting point for this adventure is the old capital of the Ngu Yen Dynasty, Hue. The cycling begins with a ride through the Vietnamese countryside with a challenging climb over Hai Van pass where you’ll have a stunning view of the bays. Passing rural villages on quiet back roads, the peacefulness of the surroundings are in sharp contrast to our destination of My Lai, the site of one of the worst massacres of the American/Vietnam War. This trip is packed with history, culture, some superb cycling and ending at an island beach resort, this trip has it all!
|Tour Cost||US$1,725||Single Supplement||US$385|
|Bike Hire||US$170||Total Cycling Distance||470 Kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||10 days / 9 nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||4 full days, 4 half days.||Tour Meets||Hue|
|Tour Ends||Nha Trang||Countries Visited||Vietnam|
|Group Size||Minimum 2. Maximum 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- Meet in Hue, the old capital of the Ngu Yen Dynasty, for a city tour by bicycle.
- Day 2
- From Hue we follow the coast as we ride on roads shaded by coconut palms, and dunes scattered with mini mausoleums, pagodas and war memorials. Overnight at resort on Lang Co Beach.
- Day 3
- Climb Hai Van Pass for superb views of the bay and ride downhill to Danang for lunch. Cycle to China Beach and then on country roads to UNESCO Heritage Site of Hoi An.
- Day 4
- From Hoi An we ride on country back roads past paddy fields to visit My Son, the ancient centre of Cham civilization and return to Hoi An early afternoon.
- Day 5
- In the morning we transfer from Hoi An to Quang Ngai where we ride to My Lai, the site of one of the worst massacres of the American War, and then through the Vietnamese countryside.
- Day 6
- Today we leave early for the journey to Qui Nhon and cycle a loop to Ba To Town, riding on quiet back roads where people are unaccustomed to the sight of western cyclists.
- Day 7
- Ride from Dieu Tri along a remote but well surfaced road. The terrain is gently rolling, with beautiful views of the foothills of the highlands. Transfer to avoid the highway to our hotel at Tuy Hoa.
- Day 8
- On our last cycling we ride from our hotel and soon have the encroaching mountains on both sides as we ride through a network of lush rice fields in the valley. We ride to the Hon Gom peninsula and take a boat to Whale Island.
- Day 9
- Today is free on Whale Island to relax on the beach, do some snorkeling or scuba diving.
- Day 10
- We transfer back to the mainland and then onto Nha Trang for any onward connections.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|October 19, 2014||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 1,725.00||USD 385.00||USD 170.00|
|December 21, 2014||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 1,725.00||USD 385.00||USD 170.00|
|February 1, 2015||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 1,725.00||USD 385.00||USD 170.00|
|April 12, 2015||Available||USD 1,725.00||USD 385.00||USD 170.00|
|May 17, 2015||Available||USD 1,725.00||USD 385.00||USD 170.00|
|July 5, 2015||Available||USD 1,725.00||USD 385.00||USD 170.00|
|October 18, 2015||Available||USD 1,725.00||USD 385.00||USD 170.00|
|December 20, 2015||Available||USD 1,725.00||USD 385.00||USD 170.00|
I can't say enough good things about AnhCo - he was an awesome guide!
I loved that we had different things every meal and at local places
I totally enjoyed this trip, best holiday I've ever had. Have been raving about SpiceRoads to friends! Was very impressed with how well organised this trip was, the food, the guide and driver lovely people, fabulous places we went to, I felt well looked after. I can't wait to do another one.
Jo Pekelharing - August 2014
Both the guide and driver were very good at there jobs. Guide had a great sense of humour and made the whole experience fun and interesting.
Things I enjoyed...
- Riding on the back roads through fields and small towns and villages.
- A few little cycling challenges eg cycling for 11km up a hill.
- People saying hello when we cycle past especially the children.
- Stopping for drink breaks at a local persons home.
- Eating at restaurants that are popular with the locals.
Anne Pickering - July 2014
A fantastic trip along a beautiful coastline, rich in history, ancient and modern.
We very much enjoyed the cycling, nothing too challenging yet enough hills and distance for the more hardened bikers.
Chris Grossick - December 2013
The guide was great. The driver was truly excellent, calm and with a fun side.
The cycling was the level you would expect for a three chilli ride
Cycling was great. The couple of days on Whale island was a lovely finish to the trip and the transfer to the final airport was great as it is a long drive. Food was interesting. No one was ill!
Lizbeth Ansell - July 2013
Vu was a very professional guide and a lovely and caring Person - we had a great time with him.
It was a good mixture of biking
We had mainly chosen the accommodation and it was very good.
Walter Schaer - June 2013
We got to ride the backroads, through villages and fishing towns, seeing parts of the country that I doubt many visitors get to see. This was fantastic.
Andrew Prentice - December 2012
Nguyen Anh Co (Anko) did a fine job as our guide and Dahm was a great driver and cheerfuly helped out with the bikes and the water refills. The accommodation was great and the food was plentiful and tasty with a good mix of vegetarian and meat. Anko certainly knows the area very well and was able to take us to some lovely restaurants. We also liked his knowledge of the history of the area. We also enjoyed visiting his home for a brief stop and meeting his lovely children and wife. We loved the journeys through the villages and the fact we were staying off busy roads.
Mike Weakley - July 2012
I was very happy with the route and itinerary!
Leonard Karp - May 2012