Cycling Vietnam's Central Coast
Vietnam’s intriguing Central Coast is packed with cultural points of interest and scenic rides. From the historic monuments of Hoi An and Hue to the relaxing beaches of Whale Island, this adventure is a delight for everyone wishing to explore the heart of Vietnam. The starting point for this adventure is the old capital of the Ngu Yen Dynasty, Hue. The cycling begins with a ride through the Vietnamese countryside with a challenging climb over Hai Van pass where you’ll have a stunning view of the bays. Passing rural villages on quiet back roads, the peacefulness of the surroundings are in sharp contrast to our destination of My Lai, the site of one of the worst massacres of the American/Vietnam War. This trip is packed with history, culture, some superb cycling and ending at an island beach resort, this trip has it all!
Watch a video of the tour here
|Tour Cost||US$1,825||Single Supplement||US$400|
|Bike Hire||US$170||Total Cycling Distance||470 Kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||10 days / 9 nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||4 full days, 4 half days.||Tour Meets||Hue|
|Tour Ends||Nha Trang||Countries Visited||Vietnam|
|Group Size||Minimum 2. Maximum 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- Meet in Hue, the old capital of the Ngu Yen Dynasty, for a city tour by bicycle.
- Day 2
- From Hue we follow the coast as we ride on roads shaded by coconut palms, and dunes scattered with mini mausoleums, pagodas and war memorials. Overnight at resort on Lang Co Beach.
- Day 3
- Climb Hai Van Pass for superb views of the bay and ride downhill to Danang for lunch. Cycle to China Beach and then on country roads to UNESCO Heritage Site Hoi An.
- Day 4
- From Hoi An we ride on country back roads past paddy fields to visit My Son, the ancient centre of the Cham Civilization and return to Hoi An early in the afternoon.
- Day 5
- In the morning we transfer from Hoi An to Quang Ngai where we ride to My Lai, the site of one of the worst massacres of the American War, and then through the Vietnamese countryside.
- Day 6
- Today we leave early for the journey to Qui Nhon and cycle a loop to Ba To Town, riding on quiet back roads where people are unaccustomed to the sight of western cyclists.
- Day 7
- Ride from Dieu Tri along a remote but well surfaced road. The terrain is gently rolling, with beautiful views of the foothills of the highlands. Transfer to avoid the highway to our hotel in Tuy Hoa.
- Day 8
- On our last cycling we ride from our hotel and soon have the encroaching mountains on both sides as we ride through a network of lush rice fields in the valley. We ride to the Hon Gom peninsula and take a boat to Whale Island.
- Day 9
- Today is free on Whale Island to relax on the beach, do some snorkeling or scuba diving.
- Day 10
- We transfer back to the mainland and then onto Nha Trang for any onward connections.
Day 2 – Hue – Lang Co Ride 65 km. +190 m/ -194 m.
Day 3 – Lang Co - Hoi An Ride 55 km. +791m/ -788 m.
Day 4 – Hoi An – My Son – Hoi An Ride 60-80 km. +432 m/ -428 m.
Day 5 – Hoi An - Quang Ngai Ride 46 km. +207 m/ -208 m.
Day 6 – Quang Ngai – Qui Nhon Ride 73 km. +766 m/ -764 m.
Day 7 – Dieu Tri – Tuy Hoa Ride 80 km. +415 m/ -412 m.
Day 8 – Tuy Hoa – Whale Island Ride 58 km. +636 m/ -643 m.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|March 20, 2016||Available||USD 1,825.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|April 10, 2016||Available||USD 1,825.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|May 15, 2016||Available||USD 1,825.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|July 3, 2016||Available||USD 1,825.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|September 18, 2016||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 1,825.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|October 16, 2016||Available||USD 1,825.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
|December 18, 2016||Available||USD 1,825.00||USD 400.00||USD 170.00|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our customs tour team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
I am following up with you after our Spice Roads adventure Oct. 18 - 28th, the Vietnam South Central Coast. I most say, myself and the three woman I traveled with, all agreed that it was the most amazing adventure we have taken in our very well traveled lives. All four or us, Rikki, Wendy, Amy and myself have traveled extensively all over the world in all sorts of exotic manners. We were all 4 surprised and happy to know that we each agreed the Spice Roads excursion was the best trip any of us had taken.
The country and its cultures was amazing and I will surely try and squeeze another Vietnam trip in into my travels in the near future. However, I am specifically writing to you to comment on the guides of our tour. Leah and Trung were fantastic and for sure made the difference in a good trip to an amazing adventure that topped all. They were both extremely knowledgeable and passionate about history, the individual areas and small towns that we passed through. It was apparent that Spice roads was highly respected as we were very well treated, receiving top service with smiling faces in all the accommodations and restaurants. They both worked hard to gain and maintain that respect.
We felt very safe with not an inkling of stress of any danger. Although, I am pretty sure that most of the areas we traveled through were safe with not any large threats of danger, there was never a time that i felt that either of the guides let there guard down. They were both extremely attentive and protective.
Thank you again and I hope to plan another Spice Roads trip soon.
Tracy L Clemens - October 2015
The most excellent trip of a lifetime!!!! The guides are excellent- Hai and Lee Trung made the trip- So knowledgable and informative and patient!!!
Linda Erica Dunsmore - October 2015
Fabulous trip! Guides were outstanding. Cycling best way to see a country.
Tracey Krausa - October 2015
This was our second trip with Spice Roads. The Cycling, choice of accommodation and the caring, passionate guides combined to provide a great trip again.We are already signed up to your newsletter, thanks for a great trip.
David Thompson - October 2015
It is definitely the best way to see any country, from now on all my vacations will be on a Bicycle. We had the best guide ever, he and the driver were very experienced and they just knew what we needed before we knew it.
The guide went out of his way to accommodate a special request by me and my friends and he made sure everyone was as comfortable as possible all the way. He assisted us in everything all the way and we could feel that he was very happy in his job and did it from his heart.
Swand Qat - May 2015
Our first bike trip but it exceeded our expectations. Wonderful way to see the country, fantastic guides, great local food, remote villages, good hotels, excellent back up support.
Fiona Joyce - February 2015
Our wonderful guide, Ahn Co, and his sweep, Lee, made our trip extra special. The history, lodging and food were all four star, and the friendly, smiling people were heartwarming. Sue and I may have been the oldest and slowest but we made it and the group was very supportive! We'll be back!
Couldn't have been happier. Ahn Co spoke wonderful English and know the history.
They were always friendly and very helpful by taking our bikes, filling water bottles, cleaning and maintaining bikes! good men
Richard Alvin Wiley - February 2015
The service provided by the guides and driver was friendly.
Itinerary and route were very well planned. I would keep it just the way it was.
You picked very good accommodation. It was so nice to get to the hotel after cycling all day.
The scenery was excellent. I doubt that you could improve on it.
Larry Walker - December 2014