Cambodia Heritage by Bicycle
On this tour we explore the history and culture of Cambodia by bicycle, starting as far back as the 7th Century. Our ride starts in Phnom Phen, the capital city of Cambodia since the French colonization of Indochina, once known as the "Pearl of Asia." From here we ride through the scenery of Cambodia's countryside to Oudong, the former capital of Cambodia from 1618 to 1866. We ride to the hills of Phnom Oudong to see a variety of chedis and stupas built in traditional Khmer style. The next day we cycle from temple to temple and visit one of the oldest temple complexes of Cambodia in Sambor Prey Kuk. Then we transfer to Siem Reap and enter the symbol of Cambodia, Angkor Wat. We'll immerse ourselves in the 12th century when the Khmer empire was at its height. At this UNESCO World Heritage site we'll explore the high classical Khmer architecture and how it is the best preserved temple complex of both Hinduism and Buddhism. Our journey of discovery will continue beyond the main temple complex to Banteay Srey and to Kbal Spean. Riding our bikes through the countryside we'll be greeted by friendly locals and get a deeper understanding of their lives. On our last night we'll enjoy a sunset cruise on Tonle Sap lake.
We cycle a total of 237 km mostly on a mixture of tarmac and dirt roads through some very pretty and interesting countryside, taking in a wonderful experience of Cambodia.
|Tour Cost||US$1,450||Single Supplement||US$285|
|Bike Hire||Is included||Total Cycling Distance||237 kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||7 Days/ 6 Nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||1 full, 6 half||Tour Meets||Phnom Penh|
|Tour Ends||Siem Reap||Countries Visited||Cambodia|
|Group Size||Minimum 2. Maximum 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||14 years old|
- Day 1
- We meet in the morning for a bicycle tour of Cambodia's capital city that has managed to retain its colonial charm. We begin our cycle along the colourful riverfront to the Royal Palace, continue to the National Museum where you'll get a superb introduction to Khmer history.
- Day 2
- We head to Phnom Preah Reach or Oudong Mountain, once the capital of Cambodia. This ride gives us a chance to see rural Cambodia followed by a picnic lunch at a local Khmer house. Then we explore the recent dark history of Cambodia in Tuol Sleng Museum of Genocide.
- Day 3
- We transfer to Kampong Thom where we'll cycle through the ancient temple site of Sambor Prey Kuk. Visit one of the oldest temple sites in Cambodia constructed in the 7th century and have a beautiful ride through rice paddy fields and small villages with many locals greeting us as we cycle by.
- Day 4
- Today we'll immerse ourselves into the 12th Century when the reign of the Khmer's extended far and wide. We cycle to the entrance of Angkor Wat and start our visit of the many temples at Ta Prohm, famous from the film Tomb Raider, and deliberately left by French conservationists in the same condition as it was discovered.
- Day 5
- We cycle through rural countryside to Banteay Srei temple which has the best preserved bas-reliefs and other stone carvings in Cambodia. After a local lunch we put the bikes aside for a 3 km moderate trek uphill through the jungle to a river bed with submersed carvings and a beautiful waterfall
- Day 6
- We rise early to watch the sunrise over Angkor Wat and then we start riding to the Rolous group. Then we have the afternoon free to explore the old market, or to just rest by the pool at your hotel. We meet again late afternoon for a sunset cruise and see the floating village.
- Day 7
- After breakfast we go for a short cycle through bucolic scenery of Siem Reap Countryside to the Silk Farm of Phouk, a fascinating farm/workshop where you can see the entire silk creation process. We return to the hotel by vehicle and say our final good byes after lunch.
Day 1 – Phnom Penh Ride 30 km. +113 m/ -114 m.
Day 2 - Phnom Penh – Oudong Ride 45 km. +155 m/ -91 m.
Day 3 – Phnom Penh – Kampong Thom – Siem Reap Ride 36 km. +114 m/ -134 m.
Day 4 – Siem Reap – Angkor Complex Ride 25 km. +137 m/ -137 m.
Day 5 – Siem Reap – Banteay Srey – Kbal Spean Ride 56 km. +353 m/ -176 m.
Day 6 - Siem Reap – Rolous group – Tonle Sap Sunset Cruise Ride 25 km. +63 m/ -73 m.
Day 7 - Siem Reap – Departure Ride 20 km. +58 m/ -58 m.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|February 27, 2017||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 1,450.00||USD 285.00||included|
|July 3, 2017||Available||USD 1,450.00||USD 285.00||included|
|August 28, 2017||Available||USD 1,450.00||USD 285.00||included|
|October 16, 2017||Available||USD 1,450.00||USD 285.00||included|
|December 18, 2017||Available||USD 1,450.00||USD 285.00||included|
|January 1, 2018||Available||USD 1,450.00||USD 285.00||included|
|February 26, 2018||Available||USD 1,450.00||USD 285.00||included|
|July 2, 2018||Available||USD 1,450.00||USD 285.00||included|
|August 27, 2018||Available||USD 1,450.00||USD 285.00||included|
|October 15, 2018||Available||USD 1,450.00||USD 285.00||included|
|December 17, 2018||Available||USD 1,450.00||USD 285.00||included|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our custom tours team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
Thank you very much for your help with coordinating the phenomenal bike tour through Cambodia.
We had such a great time, and agreed that it was the best way to see the country!
You've been very helpful and responsive to all of my queries, and it is very impressive.
I also would like to note to you and your company that our guide, Leang Chan Chamrong (Chamrong), was a truly amazing tour leader. He was very thoughtful, energetic, informative and caring person. I would recommend him to anyone for a great experience. We had so much fun with him because of him.
Thank you again for helping us with this trip. I hope to visit more countries through your program in the future.
Yoko Kitagawa - July 2015