Authentic Morocco by Bicycle
Located on the north-westernmost stretch of Africa and a gateway to Europe, Morocco is one of the most vibrant cultural and commercial crossroads of the continent. In the saddle explore Morocco's rugged hills and valleys of the Atlas Mountains. Venture into these highlands inhabited by the Berbers and be delighted by their proud traditions that have been passed down for millennia. Roll and pedal up and down the sea of red massifs and take in the captivating views of snow-capped peaks just a few miles further from the unforgiving desert, a contrasting picture of unparalleled beauty.
Five days of biking take you through the realm of the legendary Atlas Mountains, the bone-dry Jbel Saghro and the life-sustaining oasis and lush palm plantations of southern Morocco, making it a challenging yet rewarding biking experience.
Watch a video of the tour here
|Tour Cost||US$1,650||Single Supplement||US$350|
|Bike Hire||US$190||Total Cycling Distance||264 kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||8 Days/7 Nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||4 full, 1 half||Tour Meets||Marrakech, Morocco|
|Tour Ends||Marrakech, Morocco||Countries Visited||Morocco|
|Group Size||Minimum 2. Maximum 10.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
|Accommodation||Hotels and Riads||Meals||Included (6 B/5 L/6 D)|
- Day 1
- Upon arrival and after a trip briefing, we take a city tour to visit the Medina of Marrakech, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with the maze of shops and stalls of succulent food and exquisite handicraft before we return for a welcome dinner.
- Day 2
- Drive via the Tizi n’Tichka Pass (2260 m) to visit Telouet, home of Thami El Glaoui, Lord of the Atlas, and start biking to Ait Benhaddou, a UNESCO World Heritage Site featuring a 17th-century fortified complex. Here we overnight in the riad.
- Day 3
- Transfer to visit an ancient troglodyte settlement and from Kalaat M'gouna ride on dirt roads to Dades Gorges lying between the Atlas and Jbel Saghro. Passing kasbahs built by the Berbers we might get lucky for an afternoon tea with locals.
- Day 4
- Winding through the Dades Valley we ride to the heart of Jbel Saghro and cross the Tizi n’Tzazert Pass (2200 m) with breathtaking panoramic views. Then swoop down for a night in N’kob, a lush Berber oasis town at the foot of Jbel Saghro.
- Day 5
- Today we ride through Morocco's largest date palm groves of the Draa Valley. In the heart of the oasis we explore on local dirt tracks serene Berber villages lining the banks of the Draa River and spend the night with a local Berber family.
- Day 6
- Witness the beauty of the Draa Valley and in Ait Saoun ride through a most scenic valley with traditional villages lying in lush oases. Later we transfer to Marrakech via the Tizi-n-Tichka Pass, 2260 m, on one of the most beautiful roads on earth.
- Day 7
- Relax and visit the 19th-century Bahia Palace with 160 rooms and the exquisitely decorated Saadian Tombs of the Saadi Dynasty. Then through the maze of stalls of DJeema el-Fna walk, eat, and shop before returning for a farewell dinner.
- Day 8
- Transfer for your onward flight.
Day 2 – Marrakech - Kasbah Telouet - Kasbah Ait Benhaddou Ride 47 km. +413 m/ -924 m.
Day 3 – Kasbah Ait Benhaddou - Dades Gorges Ride 43 km. +839 m/ -720 m.
Day 4 – Dades Gorges - Jbel Saghro - N'kob Ride 70 km. +1,282 m/ -1,798 m.
Day 5 – N'kob - Draa Valley Ride 74 km. +523 m/ -637 m.
Day 6 – Draa Valley - Tizi-n-Tichka Pass - Marrakech Ride 30 km. +392 m/ -330 m.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|May 14, 2017||Available||USD 1,650.00||USD 350.00||USD 190.00|
|September 10, 2017||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 1,650.00||USD 350.00||USD 190.00|
|October 8, 2017||Available||USD 1,650.00||USD 350.00||USD 190.00|
|March 11, 2018||Available||USD 1,650.00||USD 350.00||USD 190.00|
|April 8, 2018||Available||USD 1,650.00||USD 350.00||USD 190.00|
|May 6, 2018||Available||USD 1,650.00||USD 350.00||USD 190.00|
|September 9, 2018||Available||USD 1,650.00||USD 350.00||USD 190.00|
|October 7, 2018||Available||USD 1,650.00||USD 350.00||USD 190.00|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our custom tours team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
I had the best of biking adventure in Morocco. Mohamed and Brahim showed me the Berber culture,food, music and hospitality. I am back in New Jersey but I truly miss Morocco's mountain, rocks, art, architecture, music,food and most of all my Berber friends!
Kyung Ha - September 2015
Morocco was delightful! Marrakesh was fascinating and the cycling in the Atlas Mountains superb.
Paul Michael Buchanan - September 2015
Morocco was a beautiful place. Our accommodations were great, the food was wonderful & the guides took care of everything and it all made for a fantastic trip!!!
Rebecca Pugh - October 2015
An amazing mountain biking experience through stunning mountain and valley scenery. Morocco is a unique destination, half European and half African.
Stephen Hunt - May 2015
Great guides, great rides, great itinerary, great food, great vacation!
It was fun having Struan on the ride.
Todd Williams - May 2015
SpiceRoads provided us with a unique and memorable holiday. A great way to see Morocco.
We understand that our cycling tour of Morocco was the first of its kind for SpiceRoads. Hussein and his local team on the ground worked hard to ensure that our trip was seamless. We appreciate their strong efforts.
Andrew Compton - April 2015