Ancient Korea by Bicycle
South Korea - The Land of the Morning Calm - is steeped in contradictions and traditions. Craggy mountain ranges slope down to pristine beaches and bustling cosmopolitan cities are surrounded by serene farmland. Elements of Confucianism, practiced for a thousand years across several dynasties, linger on today, living alongside the innovative economic power of this thriving country.
Cycling through the country puts you in direct contact with the Korean people and you’ll find them a real delight. Fiercely proud, and with a character almost as spicy as their food, they’re markedly eager to please foreigners.
We start our tour from the centre of Seoul and thanks to an extensive network of bike paths we can cycle along the Han River directly out of the city into the rural countryside, visiting temples, sampling delicious Korean cuisine before finishing in the traditional village of Andong.
We follow the dedicated bike paths along two of the country's main waterways, the Han and Nakdong rivers, making for scenic, flat and leisurely cycling. We stop often each day to visit historical and cultural sites, with one of the many highlights being Hahoe Folk Village. Here we'll stay in a traditional guest house and immerse ourselves in folk traditions dating back centuries. The vast variety of menu options will also be a highlight of the tour, and we'll be sure to try many local specialties.
Uniquely on this cycle tour you'll be able to collect stamps in your souvenir Korean Cycle Tour passport. Each day we'll pass certification points where you can stamp your passport to show your biking achievements.
Please note this join-in tour is open to riders from other tour companies. This helps us to gather together sufficient numbers of cyclists to guarantee a departure quickly. This tour meets our quality standards and the only difference to our other SpiceRoads tours will be the jersey the guide wears.
|Tour Cost||US$2,680||Single Supplement||US$388|
|Bike Hire||Included||Total Cycling Distance||358 kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||9 Days/8 Nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||5 full days||Tour Meets||Seoul|
|Tour Ends||Seoul||Countries Visited||South Korea|
|Group Size||Minimum 5. Maximum 20.||Vehicle Support||Limited|
- Day 1
- We meet you at our hotel lobby at 1 pm for a city tour of Seoul, trip briefing and welcome dinner.
- Day 2
- Today we cycle along the scenic Han River to Namyangju, riding past Yeo-ido and Hangang Park, the local's favourite place to stroll along the river, and the National Assembly Building. After a stop at Dasan Heritage site we overnight in Namyangju.
- Day 3
- Today the bike path takes us along the Bukhangang River and stop at Jara Island which was created in 1943 due to the construction of the dam. Continue cycling north to our overnight hotel in Chuncheon.
- Day 4
- We start with a short train ride to Daeseongli before cycling south to Dumulmeori. We pass by three 400-year-old giant Zelkova trees, the town of Yeojubo and royal tombs dating from the 14th century that are a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Day 5
- We begin the day visiting the Silleuksa Temple, built during the Silla dynasty circa 580. We learn about Korean Buddhism at this religious site set amidst a 500-year-old juniper tree and a 600-year-old ginkgo tree. Then we embark on our bikes and again follow the Han River bike path.
- Day 6
- Today we switch rivers as we cycle along the Nakdong River. Our first stop will be at the Sangju Bicycle Museum where variety of bicycles from all over the world are on exhibit. Tonight we spend the night in a traditional Korean guest house that dates back to 1797.
- Day 7
- Today we explore Hahoe village without bikes. This UNESCO World Heritage site has preserved Joseon period-style architecture, tiled and thatched roof houses, and folk traditions of clan-based villages. In the afternoon we visit the mask museum before we hike to Buyongdae.
- Day 8
- After breakfast we visit a local hot spring to relax and enjoy the mineral hot water before we catch the express bus to Seoul. Later we meet up for a farewell dinner for traditional Korean cuisine before we head back to our hotel via Han river, as it lit up at night.
- Day 9
- After breakfast depart for onward journey home.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|May 13, 2017||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 2,680.00||USD 388.00||included|
|August 26, 2017||Available||USD 2,680.00||USD 388.00||included|
|October 14, 2017||Available||USD 2,680.00||USD 388.00||included|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our custom tours team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
Fantastic bike trails! Good food, too.
Robert Kieckhefer - April 2017