Wilds of Sarawak by Bicycle
Borneo conjures up images of intrepid explorers, dense tropical rainforest, a dazzling array of tropical wildlife and of course, the great ape indigenous to this island, the orangutan. This week long cycling adventure takes in Kuching, the culturally diverse, lively capital of Sarawak; orangutan rehabilitation centres where you have a chance to get up close to these engaging creatures, kayaking along the languid Sarawak River, trekking along steamy jungle paths and witnessing the birth of baby turtles on the pristine beaches. The jungle adventures are very much the focus of the tour but we also have plenty of time to meet and interact with the friendly, fun and fascinating local indigenous people, as we stay in their houses and visit their villages.
|Tour Cost||US$1,790||Single Supplement||US$525|
|Bike Hire||US$150||Total Cycling Distance||250 kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||8 Days/7 Nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||4 full days, 1 half day||Tour Meets||Kuching, Malaysia|
|Tour Ends||Kuching, Malaysia||Countries Visited||Malaysia|
|Group Size||Minimum 2. Maximum 16.|
- Day 1
- We meet you at the airport and once settled in at the hotel we use our favorite vehicles to explore the city. With our bikes we visit Kuching's oldest Chinese temple and continue along the river to the Astana, visiting the residence of the Governor of Sarawak and Fort Margherita.
- Day 2
- Our day starts with a visit to the Semenggoh Nature Reserve a home for injured and orphaned orangutans. Then we get on our bikes and cycle on back roads through plantations, forests, rice fields and farming villages. If we are lucky we'll sight the rare Raffelesia flower. We finish our ride at Annah Rais village.
- Day 3
- We cycle through beautiful scenery to the Sarawak River and trade pedals for paddles. A relaxing kayak downstream takes us to a Dayak village for lunch. Then it's back on the bikes to ride to Siniawan, a town dotted with Chinese wooden houses.
- Day 4
- The road is flat but windy today, making it an easy and fun ride. We visit the Wind Cave Nature Reserve and follow the enormous sandstone ridge of Mt. Kubah to Matang Wildlife Centre for another chance to see the orangutans in their natural setting.
- Day 5
- We have a long ride today as we cycle along the coast to Lundu, crossing numerous creeks on narrow bridges. At Gunung Gading National Park we stop for a dip in a waterfall before riding to our beach resort. At the hotel we'll have an opportunity see turtle hatchlings at their conservation area.
- Day 6
- We say goodbye to baby turtles before heading out on a dirt back road and off the beaten track to the old trading post of Semantan. We arrive at the beach in time for lunch and have the afternoon free to enjoy the swimming pool or beach.
- Day 7
- Enjoy your last morning by the sea and take a walk on the long beach before we drive back to Kuching. In the late afternoon we take a cruise through the spectacular mangroves near Kuching to sight exotic birds and animals before our farewell dinner.
- Day 8
- Depart Sarawak for a flight back home or you can extend your stay in Borneo.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|April 16, 2017||Available||USD 1,790.00||USD 525.00||USD 150.00|
|July 30, 2017||Available||USD 1,790.00||USD 525.00||USD 150.00|
|August 6, 2017||Available||USD 1,790.00||USD 525.00||USD 150.00|
|September 10, 2017||Available||USD 1,790.00||USD 525.00||USD 150.00|
|October 15, 2017||Available||USD 1,790.00||USD 525.00||USD 150.00|
|December 10, 2017||Available||USD 1,790.00||USD 525.00||USD 150.00|
|February 18, 2018||Available||USD 1,790.00||USD 525.00||USD 150.00|
|April 15, 2018||Available||USD 1,790.00||USD 525.00||USD 150.00|
|July 29, 2018||Available||USD 1,790.00||USD 525.00||USD 150.00|
|September 9, 2018||Available||USD 1,790.00||USD 525.00||USD 150.00|
|October 14, 2018||Available||USD 1,790.00||USD 525.00||USD 150.00|
|December 9, 2018||Available||USD 1,790.00||USD 525.00||USD 150.00|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our custom tours team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
The portion of the ride along the beach was spectacular - something I couldn't imagine experiencing anywhere else in the world!
Jason Castellan - February 2017
lovely country, good biking, with few van sessions.
Jenny Shaw - October 2015
Great way of seeing a country using back roads and meeting real local people. Bike riding is a far better way of doing this than vehicles and employing local guides is an ethical way of giving back something for the privilege of being wealthy enough to enjoy this experience. Very happy customer, please pass my happiness on to my guides.
Clifford Hobden - September 2015
An excellent holiday, good guides, good route, lovely country. Enjoyed the natural beauty of plant life, and chance to see orangutans in the wild. Guides gave plenty of encouragement on the hilly bits!
Simon Park - August 2015
An awesome trip, excellent tour guides and a great bike route. Was sad it had to end.
Jeremy Davies - August 2015
Very nice tour with nice stops and activities along the way. The guides and drivers looked after us very well and was always happy to give advice and share their local knowledge. Excellent food and the accommodation was lovely with each place very special.
Linda Margareta Hoff - February 2015
A very friendly group of guides and drivers with excellent local knowledge. English language skills were very good - any misunderstandings were minor and simply reflected second language nuances.
Good quality bikes, Dominic was excellent with his bike knowledge and care of the bikes too.
Excellent food overall. Especially home cooked food in village long houses and last night meal in Kuching. Guides provided generally good snacks as well.
No problems with any of the accommodation. It was appropriate for the type of trip.
A very good job overall for an inaugural tour. Mansour and Dominic were particularly fun and professional. We all really enjoyed the local knowledge, for instance of plant species and animals.
Selection of wildlife parks was appropriate and interesting.
The local food was a real highlight of the trip.
Toby Loch-Wilkinson - December 2014
The guides were great! They bent over backwards to make sure things went smoothly and our expectations were met. And they seemed to be enjoying themselves. Wonderful group of guys!
Pretty cool to be on brand new bikes!
Maggie Zahm - December 2014