Hidden Laos by Road Bike
Laos may very well be one of the last countries in the region that remains untainted by mass tourism and yet, this refreshingly simple country does not disappoint when it comes to unspoiled nature and wildlife, uniquely rustic and flavorful cuisine, fairytale landscapes and the warmth and friendliness of its people.
Discover the stunning northern part of this magical country and explore an area previously known as Xaysomboun Special Zone; a stunning area that was only recently strictly off-limits due to hostilities with Hmong rebels, and a well-known CIA secret airbase where war against communism was fought.
Immerse yourself in Laos’ deep-rooted traditions and culture, explore Laos' less-traveled side via its scenic and perfectly paved backroads, and get lost in time on this moderately challenging road bike tour where we bring you on an adventure beyond the wall of its charming capital city that is Vientiane!
|Tour Cost||Price depends on tour departure||Single Supplement||US$250|
|Bike Hire||US$125||Total Cycling Distance||692 kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||8 days / 7 nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||6 full days, 1 half day||Tour Meets||Vientiane, Laos|
|Tour Ends||Vientiane, Laos||Countries Visited||Laos|
|Group Size||Minimum 2. Maximum 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- We meet in the late afternoon for a bike fitting and trip briefing. Welcome dinner at a traditional Lao restaurant.
- Day 2
- Today's ride is on a nice flat road along the contours of the Mekong River, which we follow towards Paksan, or the San River. We should reach our destination before sunset, which we can enjoy on the banks of the river.
- Day 3
- Leave the Mekong valley and ride north along the San River to Laos’ highest mountain - Phou Bia (2,819 m). The road then takes us through Xaysomboun Special Zone, a restricted area that was until recently strictly off-limits due to hostilities with Hmong rebels. Visit Muang Khoun, the ancient capital of the powerful Xieng Khouang Kingdom and overnight in Muang Khoun.
- Day 4
- Explore what was once one of the most heavily bombed areas of the country and visit ancient temples and local villages. Discover the mysterious, prehistoric Plain of Jars; an area littered with 2,000-year-old stone jars. Visit the MAG Center, a humanitarian organization clearing the UXOs (unexploded ordnances).
- Day 5
- This is a tough, but extremely scenic day with a gentle roll out of Phonsavanh. We reach the highest point of the tour (1,500m) and from there, it’s only 7 kms to our overnight stop, Phou Khoun, located at an altitude of around 1,300 m.
- Day 6
- Heading south, we start riding downhill back into the Mekong Valley, followed by a few mild climbs before reaching the Nam Xong River where we ride through the limestone outcrops of Vang Vieng. Early arrival so there's time for a swim, a stroll along the river, or a paddle-around on a kayak.
- Day 7
- The up-and-down ride today takes us to the Nam Ngeum reservoir, Lao's first major hydropower project developed in the late 1960s. We continue to the top of the lake before rolling down to our cozy and comfortable hotel (with pool!) on the Nam Ngeum River.
- Day 8
- We ride back to Vientiane on a flat road across the Nam Ngum River. The journey culminates at Phatuxay, Lao’s version L'Arc de Triomphe. After lunch, you can fly out in the afternoon or evening, or spend another night exploring the capital.
Day 2: Vientiane- Paksan Ride 145 km. +403 m/ -417 m.
Day 3: Paksan- Muang Khoun Ride 93 km. +1,939 m/ -1,109 m.
Day 4: Muang Khoun – Phonsavanh Ride 34 km. +240 m/ -183 m.
Day 5: Phonsavanh- Phou Khoun Ride 137 km. +2,632 m/ -2,406 m.
Day 6: Phou Khoun – Vang Vieng Ride 102 km. +1,181 m/ -2,294 m.
Day 7: Vang Vieng – Ban Keun Ride 125 km. +995 m/ -1,067 m.
Day 8: Ban Keun - Vientiane Ride 65 km. +285 m/ -284 m.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|July 2, 2017||Available||USD 1,850.00||USD 250.00||USD 125.00|
|October 8, 2017||Guaranteed to Depart||USD 1,950.00||USD 250.00||USD 125.00|
|November 5, 2017||Available||USD 1,950.00||USD 250.00||USD 125.00|
|December 24, 2017||Available||USD 1,950.00||USD 250.00||USD 125.00|
|January 28, 2018||Available||USD 1,950.00||USD 250.00||USD 125.00|
|February 25, 2018||Available||USD 1,950.00||USD 250.00||USD 125.00|
|July 1, 2018||Available||USD 1,950.00||USD 250.00||USD 125.00|
|October 7, 2018||Available||USD 1,950.00||USD 250.00||USD 125.00|
|November 4, 2018||Available||USD 1,950.00||USD 250.00||USD 125.00|
|December 23, 2018||Available||USD 1,950.00||USD 250.00||USD 125.00|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our custom tours team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
There are no reviews for this tour yet. Please check back soon.