Albania Heritage by Bicycle
This tour takes in the hilly country south of Tirana and passes through three UNESCO sites. Here many main roads follow the valleys, often following the rolling rivers that have carved out huge gorges. Particularly the Vjosa Gorge, where huge rock walls and cirques dominate the horizon. Extensive plateaus around Lake Ohrid and Gjirokastra provide a patchwork landscape of fields, the remnants of the collective farms. Farmers tend individual cows or some sheep, they cut hay with scythes, stack it in mushroom-styled ricks and follow the idyllic rhythm of the seasons. Here the outstanding majority of farm crops are organic, as chemicals are just too expensive to use. We cycle from the mountains to the Ionian coast and follow a shady road through pine forests that snakes its way through fishing villages. We land at Saranda and make a side trip to the architectural ruins of Butrint, a UNESCO site. We spend our last nights on the stunning coast where we relax and unwind on a private beach. We end our tour in the capital Tirana where you can enjoy the cafe culture.
|Tour Cost||US$2,150||Single Supplement||US$290|
|Bike Hire||US$175||Total Cycling Distance||482 kilometres|
|Tour Grade||out of 5||Number of Days||10 Days/9 Nights|
|Number of Cycling Days||7 full days/1 half day||Tour Meets||Tirana|
|Tour Ends||Tirana||Countries Visited||Albania|
|Group Size||Minimum 2, Maximum 16.||Minimum age on scheduled departures||18 years old|
- Day 1
- Meet at our Tirana hotel in time for a welcome dinner and a trip briefing.
- Day 2
- We transfer to Librazhd, the start of our ride to Pogradec; designated by UNESCO as a place of worldwide natural and cultural heritage. Our ride will begin with a gentle uphill to the summit at 900 m. From here we'll have a view of expansive Lake Ohrid before we start our descent down to the lake shore.
- Day 3
- We start by climbing up from the lake onto a high plateau. Our route follows the gorge through this scenic region until the surrounding hills open up leading us into a vast open plain filled with a patchwork of individual farms and spectacular colours. We ride on and end our day in Korce; once dubbed the Paris of Albania.
- Day 4
- Numerous cols and valleys lie ahead on our undulating route which offers up plenty of stunning landscapes as we skirt the Albanian-Greek border. Our climbing takes us into the deep heart of the Grammoz Mountains and over the Barmash Pass(1159 m) to the town of Germenj, which lies in its own tranquil valley.
- Day 5
- Our morning route rises easily out from Germenj to a high grassy plateau surrounded by some magnificent soaring peaks. We reach the source of the River Vjosa before descending through its spectacular gorge to the sleepy town of Leskovik. The descent continues to Cashare and then we follow the wonderful cliff road high above the river to Permet, situated on a bluff above the river.
- Day 6
- Today's ride is fairly flat without any sharp climbs as we head for one of Albania's most scenic destinations - the 'City of 1000 Steps', Gjirokaster. This UNESCO World Heritage site city clings to the slope of Gjere mountain above the valley of the Drinos river. Gjirokaster has a charming bazaar area with Ottoman houses and small shops facing narrow cobbled streets.
- Day 7
- A great day of cycling ahead as we descend through the scenic countryside to Saranda on the Ionian coast. The city is close to the ancient remains of Butrint, our third UNESCO World Heritage Site. Butrint is one of the county’s most important archaeological sites, tracing its origins back to the Greeks and the Romans.
- Day 8
- We have a roller coaster of a ride today, ascending and descending as the morning mist is burnt off by the sun. Then it’s over grand cols into picturesque bays and around broad headlands, always with the stunning mountain scenery to the right and sea to the left.
- Day 9
- We cycle north before climbing over several cols, pure crisp woodlands, small gorges, forests and hairpin bends and descend to the heart of the Albanian Riveria -- Vlore.
- Day 10
- One last seaside breakfast before we transfer you to Mother Teresa Airport or to your hotel in Tirana, in case you have extended your stay.
Day 2 - Tirana - Pogradec Ride 50 km. +857 m/ -532 m.
Day 3 – Pogradec - Korce Ride 42 km. +416 m/ -242 m.
Day 4 – Korce – Germenje Ride 78 km. +1,226 m/ -1,056 m.
Day 5 – Germenje - Permet Ride 60 km. +637 m/ -1,452 m.
Day 6 - Permet - Gjirokaster Ride 70 km. +581 m/ -494 m.
Day 7 - Gjirokastra – Saranda Ride 65 km. +924 m/ -1,246 m.
Day 8 – Saranda – Himara Ride 52 km. +989 m/ -994 m.
Day 9 – Himara – Vlore Ride 65 km. +1,557 m/ -1,547 m.
|Date||Availability||Price||Single Supplement||Bike Hire||Book|
|May 14, 2017||Available||USD 2,150.00||USD 290.00||USD 175.00|
|August 27, 2017||Available||USD 2,150.00||USD 290.00||USD 175.00|
|September 24, 2017||Available||USD 2,150.00||USD 290.00||USD 175.00|
|May 13, 2018||Available||USD 2,150.00||USD 290.00||USD 175.00|
|August 26, 2018||Available||USD 2,150.00||USD 290.00||USD 175.00|
|September 23, 2018||Available||USD 2,150.00||USD 290.00||USD 175.00|
Scheduled dates don't fit your schedule? Have an idea for an alteration to the itinerary?
Contact our custom tours team to make your ideal holiday a reality.
There are no reviews for this tour yet. Please check back soon.